Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Old McDonald

Was greeted this morning with an abundance of cuddles & smiling faces. The children seem to never stop smiling & are always eager to hold hands, welcome me with a "hi, how are you?" & carry anything I may be holding.

Last week I decided to teach the younger class that stay at the orphanage every day, the song "Old Mcdonald" ...I have broken it down, so last week we talked about farmers, & drew "Old Mcdonald" ...today we took the song a step further by introducing the first animal, a sheep. This was great fun!! I had bought more sticks of glue, (as patient as they were last week sharing only 2 sticks, I decided to buy more) and cotton wool ...well, needless to say they had lots of fun making pictures of woolly white sheep as we went over the song ...I think most of us had as much cotton wool stuck to our fingers as the pictures.

"Brian" who has not yet interacted, made a picture today & held my hand ...felt very humbling.

I have asked the teacher if we can display "our farm" up in the hall, as the walls of the classroom are made of very rough concrete blocks & it is very difficult to stick anything to them. I am looking forward to seeing the children's faces as they watch the song & all their beautiful art build up.

They are all really enjoying circle songs & stories with repetition that they can join in with.

Tonight Megan has made play dough, which I will be taking in with me tomorrow ...something the children have never seen, yet alone played with.

I have a huge feeling I am going to miss these amazing little souls when I go home.


Michelle Roberton - Jones

No comments:

Post a Comment